If you are working with Asian and Asian American clients, you might be wondering:
- Is __________________ “cultural”?
- How might the racial / ethnic difference or similarity in the room be affecting the therapy?
- What might I be overlooking or focusing on due to our racial / ethnic difference or similarity?
- Should I bring up the racial / ethnic difference or similarity in the room? How? When?
- How would talking about race and ethnicity help the client?
- Provide you a space where you can explore your biases and ask questions. There are no dumb questions
- Help clinicians become more comfortable and confident in addressing cultural differences and similarities in the therapy room internally and / or explicitly with client
- Help Asian and Asian American clients have a "better" experience in therapy where they can bring the totality of their identity and experience